ESPN: Allen High School facility cost $60 million
The sports-first mentality in this country is driving me insane. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy most sports as much as the next person, but to spend $60 million dollars on a football stadium, and then say, "Our intention is not to recoup the money it cost to build the stadium," is outlandish.
I want to walk into the classrooms in that district and see:
- What are the textbooks in their math classes like.
- How up-to-date are their Science labs.
- In what condition are the instruments in their Band Room in.
- What kind of supplies does the art teacher have to their disposal.
- Does the librarian have all the materials that a student or teacher could ever want or need.
- How well funded are the after school programs?
If all of these are up to par, then and only then could you even begin to think about spending $60 million dollars on a high school football stadium.