Monday, April 22, 2013

15 Things Never to Say to Parents of Biracial Kids

It's been 46 years since Mildred Loving, a black woman, and Richard Loving, a white man, convinced the Supreme Court to end race-based marriage restrictions in America. These days, mixed-race babies account for 7 percent of the kids born to American moms every year. One of those babies has risen all the way to the office of the presidency.

So why are the parents of biracial kids still hearing the same rude comments our parents and grandparents heard (or, God forbid, made!) back in the day?

The Stir asked moms and dads in biracial families to tell us some of the things people have said to them, and we found that a lot of people make these comments without seeming to understand that they're being rude.

Take a look at this list of things parents of biracial children have heard:

1. But your kids are really white!

2. A family member of mine told me that I should consider not having children with my husband because our babies will be biracial and will be teased. Needless to say, I didn't listen and our babies are gorgeous.

3. After practice a few years ago, I actually had a parent STOP my daughter as she ran to me, asking, "Where's your Mom, sweetie?" Ummmm ... hello. I'm right here. Seriously.

4. Aww, look at the cute zebra baby.

5. He doesn't look anything like you!

6. Oh, she's so cute! What province did you get her from?

7. What was it like giving birth and seeing this Asian baby come out of you? (As if I had given birth to a frog.)

8. Look at her cute chinky eyes!

9. At least her father knows she's really his!

10. Are you the nanny?

11. Wow, you're lucky they're so white.

12. While I was pregnant, someone asked, "I wonder if her hair will be nappy?"

13. Are you sure they're really yours? (directed to the father of two light-skinned children)

14. I was shopping with my two daughters and one of my daughter's friends. An employee handing out samples of granola of some sort started pointing at each child. She pointed at my oldest and said, "She's yours!" She pointed at my daughter's friend and said, "She's not yours." Then she points at my youngest, who was maybe about a year old, and she said, "What country?" She is very lucky she was about 70.

15. Aww, you're so lucky. Biracial kids are soooo much cuter.

Source: Jeanne Sager on CafeMom's blog, The Stir

No comments:

Post a Comment