Thursday, April 11, 2013

Did 'Idol' just have its best performance ever?

"American Idol" contender Candice Glover may or may not take it all this season, but according to judge Randy Jackson, she's already given a history-making performance.

Her rendition of The Cure's "Lovesong" earned both a glitter bombing from Mariah Carey and a standing ovation during Wednesday night's show.

The top six "Idol" contestants were tasked with singing a song from Burt Bacharach, and then a song they wish they'd written.

Glover chose to first sing sing Dionne Warwick's "Don't Make Me Over," which was perfectly lovely:



But when it came time to sing Adele's cover of "Lovesong," Glover showed out and brought down the house:



As Rolling Stone recaps, Glover was just two notes in when she won the audience over.

"A song I wish I had written is The Cure's' Lovesong,'" she told the "Idol" audience Wednesday. "It was done over by Adele, and singing about love is my absolute favorite thing to do. If I was to record an album, I would definitely want to touch on that. Like, when you're alone with someone, and you just feel at peace because you and that person are so connected. There's no one in particular that I'm thinking of now as pertaining to that song, but I definitely know how that feels, and I think that's why I connect with it."

By the time she was done, Keith Urban had stepped out from behind the judges' panel to bow as his fellow judges and the audience stood on their feet and clapped in appreciation. The applause went on for so long that Glover began to cry.

"On behalf of all my judges up here," Randy Jackson exclaimed over the cheers of the crowd, "[that was] one of the greatest performances in the history, in the 12 years of 'American Idol!'"

Source: CNN, The Marquee Blog

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Very good singers this year. Ms. Glover stole the show. :)

    ReplyDelete