Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Hello, Kindergarten! Goodbye, Little Girl!


Today was my five-year-old's ninth day of Kindergarten. I am not ashamed to admit that watching her little body disappear into the large crowd of students entering the building was harder today than it was her first day.

She has a great teacher and is so excited to leave for school every morning. Not wanting to go to school isn't the issue. We haven't really had to deal much with seperation anxiety, and for this I am grateful. I expect this is due to the fact that she had two years of preschool at Fayette Co-operating Preschool and Kindergarten. I know her time there has made the transition to Kindergarten a lot easier for her. Too bad I didn't spend that time preparing myself!

I'm a bit of an emotional wreck this morning and slightly unsure as to why. I guess I am trying to figure out when, or should I say, how, we got to this place. I guess I am also desperately searching for a way to get back time that has gone by. I am realistic though and know that doing so is impossible.

I love the person that she is becoming and the fact that she wakes up so excited to go to school. I adore the way that she approaches each new day and I am so excited to listen as she shares with me the lessons that each day brings. But, the truth is, each morning when I walk that sweet little face to school and watch her saunter through the door and down the hall, a little piece of me dies. I know that she can't stay "Daddy's Little Girl" forever, and I have accepted that fact. (Okay, not really.) I just want to be there to protect her always and guard her innocence.

So, this morning, I tip my hat and raise my cup of coffee and box of tissues (for the cold that I am still battling) to not just my parents, but to any parent who has ever had to find their own way again after sending their first child off to Kindergarten. I know that more often than not, it is harder on us parents than it is our children.

God's love and blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment